Saturday, June 26, 2010

perspective...

On Thursday I had one of "those" lessons with D. They happen when A. I'm tired, or B. singing music I know too well to change old habits quickly.
In this case, since it was Lucia, the reason was A.

However, in spite of making me extremely frustrated at myself, it was incredibly helpful, in that it has brought my attention to my specific practice habits... When learning a role in the past, I have always been rather frantic about being "memorized" ASAP, because I would rather die than sing a wrong note or word in public. Silly, but true.

The irony is that I have not been as patient about really letting my throat learn, and getting my brain accustomed to having the entire phrase in mind before I inspire - hence memorizing the right way (not just intellectually, which is ultimately useless to the artist). D. assures me that there is still plenty of time, and to quote him directly: "once you let the throat have its time to learn the facts, then nothing more need be done. Sincerity is then more easily accomplished, and the phrases are ready to go from memory."

To that end, I will go back to the "lab" this weekend, using Chad's arrival home as a 'deadline' to keep me on task.

OFF-SUBJECT:
I had dinner with my grandmother the other night, and for the first time, the Adult Me met the Adult Individual Her. I believe this happens to us all, if we are lucky enough to have a relative around for this long. She listened, she was kind, she was patient, and she was positive. Perhaps it's being 84 that has mellowed her and made her more forgiving of life's surprise turns. She was even interested in my newfound vegetarianism, and we talked about cooking, altering recipes to make them vegan, etc. And for someone who grew up in a fearful, non-affectionate, and rigid household, she has come a long way if she is now able to freely say "I love you so much, and couldn't be prouder of my grand-daughter."
Speaking of life's surprise turns..... I went home with a grateful heart that night. A good reminder that Lucia just doesn't matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment