Thursday, April 15, 2010

personal space

As we tumble into the big performance weekend for the Young Artists, I am still reeling from the events of the week: politics and general grumblings about them have left me depressed.

On the other hand, I have some wonderful singing and acting to sink my teeth into for this show, and I'm trying very hard to stay focused, avoid the parties, nurture my being as much as I can... I won't be as rested as I'd like to be for this performance, but I have to keep remembering that, in this context, I am not considered a professional principal. That comes later on, this summer.

The constants: morning oatmeal, my exercise routine, one episode of Arrested Development every night. The rest of this temporary lifestyle is chaos, being around people way too much, and an overall lack of control.

Another noontime recital yesterday.... it is hugely irritating to be backstage with all the younger singers whom, while I appreciate their energy in some situations, perpetually sabotage themselves with nervous chatter before their time to perform. I retreat to silent corners and make it quite clear that "no, I am not talking to you right now." Even now, during tech week, when every note we sing is being observed by the company manager and board members - these kids are going out drinking every night after rehearsal.

Of course, there is a nagging worry that no one of note will attend this performance, in which case I can only hope there might be a video made that I can use later. Rumor has it that, after our dreaded lengthy stint in Fresno, "someone from LA Opera is coming".... whether that's an actual audition, who knows.... too many rumors going around for me to actually count on.

Never have I had to fight so hard to find "me" time....

No comments:

Post a Comment