Tuesday, April 27, 2010

some relief

This week is strange....we are now once-removed from the already disconcerting OSB program, here in Fresno. The Young Artists were a bargaining chip in Fresno Grand Opera and OSB's collaborative production of Macbeth - we are here to supplement the chorus.

When we are not rehearsing, there is a lot of downtime. Our hotel is quite sketchy, but we are managing to make the best of things. I've been running with some other singers, various groups-within-the-group have lunch or see movies together, etc. There is drinking at night, necessitated by boredom and despair.... but it's been relatively drama-free, overall.

I am doing my best to nurture the connection I have forged with the Maestro, and am getting to know the other key players.

While some of the "auditions" set up for us have been little more than clinics on how to audition, I am still grateful for the chance to make these guys aware of me for future pursuits.
We are in Fresno for the remainder of this week, then head back to Santa Barbara - with no tangible goal, other than Monday's "audition" for a rep from LA Opera, and our final noontime recital for the blue-hairs and board members.

Thankfully, Fresno runs things more traditionally, and we have the day before the show off. 3 of us Bay Area residents are going home.
I'm looking forward to having one entire day to feel like myself again. Stopping by D's for a vocal tuneup and reminder of our goals for this year. Coffee with the Boss. Precious catch-up time with C. Yoga. Solitude. My own bed. My own schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment