Monday, May 31, 2010

routines

What a week..... here it is, Monday again and time to start anew, but I'm still tired.

These next few weeks are the part of a new role I don't like: pounding notes, alone. There is no way around it - I have a lot of music to learn. I'm trying to stick to a daily routine of a 2-hour workout followed by a 2-hour practice session. Today's a bit different, since I scheduled a coaching to help me through some stuff I have to prepare for Saturday's gig.

Various stress-inducers float around my head all day;

- unfortunately, I've put myself in charge of The Boss' retirement card and gift on behalf of all St. Stephen musicians...because of the various retirement festivities and special mass music, my choir year isn't over for a few more weeks.
- I'm a little resentful today that after cooking for 6 hours straight on Saturday, I brought a lot of homemade food over to the rectory yesterday, only to be met with what should have been a predictable response from Tall Friend: grumble grumble, if it's healthy it must not have any taste, grumble grumble - when will I get it through my head that this is the generation that believes strongly in eggs, bacon, and sheet cake? no response from The Boss yet, so I wonder if they didn't see the card or the food, yet it would be tacky to bring it to their attention, so I will just let it go ......
- my manager is not very proactive, nor is she big on interacting in person - hence, in spite of her promise to follow up with the companies confirmed to have been at the West Coast Auditions, I have little faith that anything will happen - similar to my cooking efforts, this makes me feel futile and sad.......

I'm doing what I can to infuse fun into my life when I can. C. and I are working on our living room/entertainment center area - finishing baseboards and taking trips to Ikea. That's been fun. I'm also reading Travels with Charley, which is just a delight. I love Steinbeck's writing - I love that he is real and down-to-earth but retains an intellectual elegance, even as he's describing the banal and prosaic (how 'bout them big words?).

No comments:

Post a Comment