Tuesday, July 27, 2010

onward, Christian divas

Pastor Emeritus' blog post of last week discusses prayer - our concept of, and approach to, prayer. He underlined three important things to remember as we pray: 1. to just be where we are. Not to put our fears, concerns, bad moods, bad hair days, swollen vocal cords, "singer phlegm", and anger aside - but to just accept all of those things and start from that place. 2. trust in the most positive outcome - not just hope for it, but believe it to be already done. 3. Forgive others. Let go, and truly forgive.

And of course, our prayers do not change God. They change us.

These concepts came full circle as I went through rehearsals yesterday. As with most mornings right now, I did my best to take it easy physically, doing whatever exercise my instincts tell me is right for that day - not too much, not too little. And there is Facebook and the radio to keep me distracted as I wait to just jump in and do it already! By 4pm, I was reviewing the staging with my Tenor (his first day back after illness). There was some tension as his over-eager understudy advised him, and Tenor had his own (often conflicting) ideas - for me, it was an exercise in graciousness as I just rolled with it and tried to get along with everyone.
[I'm also hoping he's not still contagious, as we are obviously in close contact. I do not have an understudy].

Hence, by the dinner break I was exhausted. I drove to a quiet neighborhood to eat my leftover veggie burger and unplug for a while. It occurred to me that the worry is what is most exhausting, second only to the need to pretend that I am confident and comfortable in the role of prima donna. One can only uphold a charade for so many hours per day.
I find that I get depressed by the dinner break - I'm not sure if it's that I'm coming down off of caffeine, or a drop in blood sugar levels, etc. But yesterday I decided to give in to it, and just be tired. I just rested my eyes, there in the sanctuary of my car, played around on my phone, just decompressed. And while I was doing so, I remembered P.E.'s post.

It occurred to me that perhaps I might try to approach rehearsal with the same concepts in mind:

1. To just be where I am, in terms of A. my actual process of learning to sing this well and bringing the character to life, and also, B. my fear. Using my fear, and even celebrating it - letting it motivate the character, looking at it as a strength: that perhaps the image is not a cowering, fearful person - but more like a quivering, vulnerable, out-on-a-limb human being, courageously exposing one's true and imperfect self - which frankly, is the best state in which we connect with each other as artists, with our audience, with others offstage, and to God.

2. Trust in a positive outcome. This needs no elaboration.

3. Forgive - or perhaps better put in this context - let go. Let go of misgivings about whether or not I belong here.... the fact is, I'm here. Let go of that which I cannot control - board members sitting in on rehearsals unannounced, critics, who attends on which night, being liked or not (ooh, a big one).

I can't say I was a perfectly enlightened being when I arrived for the 7pm rehearsal last night, but my experience was markedly different, and I even felt more at peace. Whether it was evident to those seeing and hearing me, I don't know - but I felt that I had stronger footing.

The downside, of course, is that I was so elated from this small personal triumph, that I couldn't get to sleep last night.

What can I say? - I'm a work in progress.... and another day begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment