Saturday, July 24, 2010

a tuneup for the spirit

It occurred to me that I haven't actually talked about the Lucia process thus far: the role now has a journey in my throat and mind, a series of peaks and valleys, some moments call for more special attention to technique than others...I feel secure (and validated by the director & conductor) in my acting choices, in the arc of the character, in my relationship to the others.
I am in love with my colleagues - they are perfectly suited to their roles, beautiful, charming, and interesting - they sing so well that I forget to worry about them. A nice change from what I'm used to.
My tenor is a bit of the "precious artist" - he has been out sick all week, and the momentum has been temporarily halted.
I have a feeling that this week will be long, difficult, and exhausting. All I can do is wait for it to get here.
It is depressing to have to switch gears and be a Sunday morning cantor tomorrow morning. But that's life.

Lest you think there was never a resolution to this week's "D. drama"......

From the time I started the "wind down" routine last night before bed, to this morning as I geared up: my every intention was to walk into D's studio today with a full and brave heart, to show him everything I am able to show to complete strangers, to be the artist I am when there is nothing to lose.

It was clear when I arrived, that he had also resolved to approach our lesson with a gentler and more objective hand. After a very positive recap of the week's events and spirited (ahem) communications, we got down to work. After the warmup, everything I sang from Lucia I did with the staging and intent, essentially walking that tightrope, naked, for all the world to see and judge. It scared the hell out of me, but I also felt that which only performing brings me - the thrill of being fully alive.

With reminders of where to pay special attention and remember certain technical considerations, his final response: "Brava. You are ready."

I wonder if he knows how his approval makes me spill over with elation.

No comments:

Post a Comment