Monday, March 29, 2010

the first day

Well, although this was my "first day", this is really the "catch up and get oriented" day I should have had yesterday.
SB is gorgeous, the weather is perfect, I have a nice roommate (mezzo) who not only shares my diet, but seems to have the same needs for solitude and personal space. She and I both find our host well-meaning, but a little instrusive and is, unfortunately, an incessant talker. She also stands WAY too close to talk to me, especially, which is weird. What is it about me that draws in the psychos? Anyway, I have my own room and bathroom, so there is a place to retreat. I was able to go running and do some yoga today, and my host is gone at work, so this is good. Time tonight to study my music for tomorrow's day of rehearsals.

There was a "no internet" scare, but with the help of my tech-savvy husband and brother, I have figured out a solution, and the world is as it should be.

There are some nice singers, and some super-obnoxious/competitive ones. Those of us who are older nod and smile, and seem to share a secret understanding that we're here to work, and could care less about comparing ourselves to the 24-year-olds who seem to be in constant audition-and-impress mode.

Case-in-point: there were a few minutes of AWKWARD where all the 12 singers were gathered into a tiny conference room, and those presenting were late. So, there was some really uncomfortable staring and small talk - and then, this tarty little soprano pipes up and goes, "well, I assume we all have our masters?" It got quiet, while some nodded and some shook their heads, myself included. Then she goes, "well, maybe we can go around the room! I'm Becca, I'm 26, and I just got my master's at IU." Various awkwardnesses led that whole thread to just kind of die down as she embarrassed herself.

I can't believe there are people who behave that way. It's incredible. Still, there are some truly nice singers here whom I'm looking forwarded to getting to know.

I always have to remember that, no matter where these gigs lead me, whether it's Berkeley or Denmark or Santa Barbara - a quarter note is a quarter note. When we get into rehearsals, that's the common ground that has drawn us all here. And that's when it gets a lot easier - and also, more fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment