Tuesday, January 19, 2010

social anxiety

Sometimes the tunnel is just...dark. I know what's ahead - well, I know as much as it's possible to know. I have a contract that says I leave for Santa Barbara on March 29. It's just hard to imagine, when I'm filing and scanning in an office, and then teaching piano in a stranger's living room. It's even hard to imagine while I'm practicing.

In the meantime, I occasionally need a break from my self-imposed rigorous schedule. Though I did have church and a voice lesson and a few other responsibilities, I did take some time to eat chocolate, work on my floors, and watch bad T.V. It did me good.

Of course, today, it's back to reality. I won't have time to practice, but I don't feel quite panicked about it. I may have a bit of time to translate some more of Lucia tonight. It's difficult to concentrate in the evenings, I'm so wiped out from the day... but right now, it's the only time I have to prepare for the Thursday choir rehearsals.

I'm anxious about a gig tomorrow night.... the actual work is easy, recording tracks for a video game out at Skywalker Ranch. I just don't enjoy the thought of seeing some of the folks (singing colleagues) I will see... there is this very stressful, fake-friendly, competitive vibe that I just can't get into anymore. Anyone who doesn't already know what I have coming up, is not going to hear it from me. I've already told those whom I trust and love. The others don't really care, as much as they're just keeping track of whatever scoreboard keeps them playing the game.

As for me, I just need to stay focused. Situations like this are what pose a danger to that focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment