Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Square One

I'm starting to feel like my old self again. Which means juggling St. Stephen and opera chorus, while keeping an eye on the audition notices and lining up the December NY trip.

In the meantime, I find myself back at Square 1: learning notes. I feel that familiar impatience rising in me - I'm always in such a hurry to get to the fun part, the rehearsing and staging of music I've already internalized....bringing a character to life.

I suppose it's harder, given the glow I feel when remembering the final product of Lucia. But I do remember being at this stage with her, too.

I wish the rest of my responsibilities would just go away, so that I can concentrate on Romilda. I have a meeting Friday, and I have a feeling it will take at least a couple weeks for me to extricate myself from the adult choir, for them to accept it, for the new system to get established. After 3 years there, I have to really fight to keep it from taking over my life. But I am determined to do this on my own terms. As my beloved G. herself said, "you can settle into a church job when you're 57, like me. But now is the time to devote to your God-given talent. Anyone can just sing, but not everyone can do what you do."

No comments:

Post a Comment