Wednesday, September 1, 2010

swing of things

If not thrilled, I'm at least starting to accept my present circumstances. I'm in familiar territory - juggling a schedule of opera chorus, church stuff, accompanying, and learning a new role - all while keeping one eye open for career-advancement opportunities, making several decisions every day in that department.

I'm finding it hard to find that "zen" place that came so easily to me over the summer. Even with all the adrenaline and excitement aside, the most wonderful aspect about being in the throes of a production is that, I am "allowed" to just be in the present moment, and put all else aside, all worries about what's next. It's a lovely way to live - and yet, I remind myself that it's a choice, that I can choose to live that way all the time.

It's just difficult when there is the reality that as a singer who's chosen a solo path, I work as an independent contractor, which means: it's not about the job I have, it's about constantly looking for the next one.

I will say this about the ridiculously inefficient rehearsal process for the opera chorus: I find myself with many paid hours spent waiting backstage, during which I can learn Romilda.

1 comment:

  1. Romilda. Tell us about Romilda. And when and where are you doing the Handel opera???? Huh huh huh? Gotta know, Gotta KNOW!!!

    ReplyDelete