Thursday, December 31, 2009

another change

As I say goodbye to 2009, I realize that I am a QUARTER of the way through this Tunnel Year. It feels like a lifetime, but in a good way... with each day, I am redefining what I truly want as an artist, and what success means to me.

It was one year ago that I began a very rewarding journey with regards to my physical health. It began with the complete elimination of dairy products, and included a new exercise regimen, and the daily use of a neti pot... the combination of all these factors allowed me to go off all medications.

C's mom gave me a book I'd requested as a Christmas present: The Kind Diet, by the not-so-clueless Alicia Silverstone. I am fascinated, and totally inspired to avoid MEAT for a couple weeks, just to see how I feel. I will also continue to be diligent about avoiding sugar (which is usually not difficult for me, not having a sweet tooth to begin with, but this time of year it's almost impossible). I must admit that it is for selfish reasons. While the facts about animal cruelty are horrific, it is still difficult for me to make the connection when I eat meat, in its normal context. However, she lists the many, many health reasons - among them, the lessening of PMS symptoms. I would do ANYTHING to alleviate what I can only describe as horrible suffering that I have gotten used to enduring for TWO WEEKS a month. That's half of life, spent miserable and mistrusting of my feelings, never sure if my response to the world around me is legitimate, or hormone-induced.

Anyway, I will begin 2010 with this new regimen, and pay attention to how my body responds. It will be difficult, since we are still visiting family who are all in "holiday" mode (i.e. wine, pie, steak, decorative bowlfuls of M&M's everywhere I look, etc.). But I would love to head off the next PMS attack, if at all possible. If I feel myself weakening or getting tired of being mocked, I will remind myself of how bad I will feel later.

Here we go.....

No comments:

Post a Comment