Friday, October 16, 2009

processing

Here I am on the other side of **THE AUDITION TRIP** (I punctuate it thus to mock myself, because I let it become the hugest aspect of my life for the past several weeks).

Overall, I learned a great deal about myself, and where my singing is right now (and it's all very positive). I also got to breathe the delicious air and see the gorgeous colors that a midwestern Autumn delivers. I felt so wonderfully independent and proactive, driving through Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana in my rental car, with only my Singer self.

As I mentioned, my confidence was bolstered a great deal even before I left, by news I can't quite announce yet, but has been confirmed via email and gives me a lovely horizon at which to gaze whenever I get bogged down teaching middle C to 6-year-olds, or hole-punching music for crabby 75-year-olds.

Tuesday's Cleveland audition was rather rough, because for some reason I couldn't sleep at ALL the night before. However, my body remembered what to do for 'Caro nome' and I was too tired to do anything but trust it. It felt pretty solid. So fascinating how the body remembers........Mr. Cleveland then asked to hear Pamina's aria, which felt less solid - it confirmed for me that of the 5 on my list, Pamina is probably the stretch, in terms of fach.

Had the long (immediately following) drive to Indianapolis to decide on using a verbal rep list for Audition #2 the next day, and drop Pamina from it. That audition went very well, I thought. Mr. Indy seemed to have more time for me, and I got the sense that perhaps Indy is a more appropriately-sized house/company for my current level. He heard Caro nome, Deh vieni, and Glitter. While the latter two were not vocally perfect, I was grateful for the chance to be an actress.

I will still process all of this for a while - one does not run a marathon and then simply continue jogging as before.

No comments:

Post a Comment