Friday, October 30, 2009

progress vs. futility

Only when I'm sick, do I seem to give myself permission to take a mental vacation. Somehow, having an excuse to call in sick and/or cancel things, frees me to finally rest - which sometimes takes form in the start of a project that has nothing to do with music.

I made a tiny bit of progress on The Floors (a little 3x3 patch, but it's a start). Like all other household projects over the last 2 years, it will be a slow transformation, but very rewarding. I finally got to use the power saw given to me by my beloved parents, for this most recent birthday. There is great therapy in measuring and sawing wood. Ah, 'tis beautiful to have control over something.

In the meantime, Fedex finally delivered my HGO-required "written in English, in my lifetime" aria - "Have Peace, Jo" from Little Women. Damn, does it look difficult!

Since I am still quite sick and in no shape to sing, I estimate that I will have about 10 days to learn it. Not ideal, but HGO took their sweet time in confirming that I had an audition at all, and I wasn't about to spend money on the music in case they rejected my application again.

I may spend hours sweating over this piece, and have to accept the possibility that they won't even ask to hear it. Them's the breaks....

No comments:

Post a Comment