Wednesday, October 21, 2009

temptations to go backward

So, I've had an offer for a gig that, several years ago - even last year, perhaps - I would have leapt at without a second thought.
This fall, there have been several other offers that all have similar prospects to this one: it's local, would add nothing to my resume, and pays pennies.

There is a small part of me that wants to say yes, because:

- it is a chance to perform, which I'm not doing at the moment (reminder to self: by choice!)
- my ego is flattered to have been asked

In the "con" column:

- it involves so much driving, that the fee would barely cover gas money. In fact, when all tax considerations are factored in, I would probably LOSE money doing it
- it's a role I've done before (with great reviews, lots of personal/artistic growth - hence I've "been there, done that"); this time it's abridged and performed at 9am for school kids
- it's a company for which I have no desire to work, ever
- as with all local shows, we will over-rehearse because of incompetency on the part of the other singers, and those directing/organizing them. Sorry, but it's true.
- I will exhaust myself and be totally distracted - which, I have learned through experience, leads me back into habits of singing poorly. The body remembers, and when it learns - and reinforces - singing while tired, I am never able to shake that muscle memory.

After making that list, I feel so much better about saying NO.

From time to time, I will have to remind myself of my personal Rules during this Tunnel Year:

1. Only say 'yes' to the projects I really want to do: ones that will yield BETTER ROLES or work at a BETTER COMPANY. To say yes, the job must fall into one of those two categories, or both (such as the one I was offered last week, announced soon!)

2. In terms of a performance, repertoire choices, materials, image of any kind: if it's not the BEST I have to offer, don't put it out there.

3. Only tell select people - those who'd truly understand - about these rules. If you're reading this, you're one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment