Monday, November 2, 2009

illness is a vocal mirror

The coach issue was resolved peacefully, thanks to the advice (and I suspect, mediation) of D.

Determined to just be DONE with this illness, I had a cocktail of caffeine, mucinex, tylenol and sudafed, and exercised as normal. It felt pretty good. Not great, but I think that had more to do with having been forced to skip a whole week.

Similarly, singing feels okay, not great. I warmed up very gingerly, trying to remember that I am reduced to singing pitches and vowels with mindful technique only. I sang through my HGO arias (except for 'Glitter' - no way do I have the strength for that) on vowels only. It's amazing to just observe where my spirit wants to plunge in and "help" a phrase, old habits of 'adding sauce' to what the composer has already provided, trying to infuse it with emotional content - but only adding 'noise' and compromising my technique. Still, singing only the vowels greatly helped to reduce my approach to just the facts.

In my present state, the sinus cavities and throat are still very swollen, and one mindless pitch, one variant from what is right, is really obvious.

I would be a more disciplined singer if I were always sick. It keeps me honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment